Thursday, January 24, 2008

Thursday Theme - Books

books
This week the Thursday's theme over at The Land of KA is Books. In our home, we have our own library. We have (literally!) thousands of books. There's book cases in the hallway, each girl has a book case in her room, I have books in the front room, and even more in the garage in cupboards and boxes. Many of them I have read, but many more have yet to be read. Many of the girls books have been read, some of them many times.

I've always loved reading. In high school I was introduced to John Steinbeck, and still continue to enjoy his books, recently reading East of Eden again. I enjoyed sci-fi and futuristic books like George Orwell's 1984. I liked to read scary stories by Edgar Allen Poe. More recently, but pre kids, I used to love to read Stephen King, but for some reason, once I had kids I stopped reading them. Perhaps the scary themes were too real in some ways, and I didn't want to expose my children to them, even though I, of course, would not be sharing them with them. May sound strange, but it just didn't seem right. I've also enjoyed John Grisham's books, as well as the movies that have been made from them. While checking out Thomas Jefferson Education (great read, especially learning about "conveyer belt education", and huge reason why we chose to unschool). I was introduced to several classics that I had not read before, Jane Eyre, The Chosen, Les Miserables, and realized just how many classic novels I had not read during my education and how wonderful they were. So, I have been collecting those that I've heard were great and slowly going through and enjoying them. I would love to join a book club, as I know it would help me set aside more time to read and enjoy and discuss some great books. My girls have their own tastes, of course, but I try to encourage them to read some great children's classics; Peter Pan, Anne of Green Gables, The Secret Garden. Violet even started up her own book club last year and had a great time sharing her thoughts with her friends, and coming up with related crafts for the stories. I love that my girls share my love of books. Of course, they have their own preferences, and I just love that they love to read and enjoy any books. Violet loves the American Girl Historical fiction stories and enjoys going to our AG club, where she meets with other girls and discusses the eras portrayed, and enjoy crafts and food of the time. She also enjoys Calvin & Hobbes, W.I.T.C.H., Pokemon books. Olivia enjoys Dr. Seuss, Mercer Mayer, Sesame street books, and Dora stories. We all enjoy Shel Silverstein, and Roald Dahl, especially while at Nana's house, where we often have poetry readings.
I love that this week's theme was "books". They're so much a part of our lives and just writing about it gets me excited and pumped to go pick up another book!

For more photos and stories about this week's theme, go to Stacy's blog The Land of KA

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...