Monday, May 12, 2008

Homemade suds

Sunny soap
My friend Renee and her kids came over Friday to show us how to make homemade soaps. She brought lots of supplies; glycerin soaps, perfume oils, scents and soap molds. It was so much easier than I had imagined. We melted the glycerin in ceramic pitchers in the microwave, then stirred in the scents, colors and other things like oatmeal, tea leaves, cinnamon. You then simply poor them into the molds. I made the one above by pouring the white glycerin into the embossed part of the mold, let it dry a little, then put a darker glycerin mix above it. I used cinnamon for color, and put lavender scent and tea leaves in it. I was really happy with how it came out. The kids had fun putting glitter and color into theirs. They also put little toys in them. Olivia put in a seahorse and Violet put a little soccer ball in one of hers.
Violet's soaps

Livie's Seahorse soap

moon and stars

It was so much fun, I can't wait to do it again. Since making paper a few weeks ago, I really like the idea of making crafts that have a purpose. Crafts that are real objects that are useful in life. Creating art for beauty is nice, but actually creating something that will be used by others is an exciting idea that makes a lot of sense to me. They make such great gifts too. I'm sure we'll be doing it again soon.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...