Thursday, September 1, 2011

In the Garden

pumpkin!
I've been really enjoying all of the wonderful bounty our gardens have been producing this year. We finally learned from the past and moved our gardens to better soil and mother nature did the rest! We've had lots of grapes, nectarines, oranges, tomatoes, and soon to have watermelons, cantelopes and pumpkins! I haven't done well with herbs, I think they need more shade, less sun, so will probably be trying them indoors and see how they do.
watermelon vine
Our local natural food store had a garden swap recently, where locals brought home grown fruits and vegetables to swap and share. I came home with some squash, cucumbers, eggplants, & basil. People also brought eggs, goats milk, homemade cards, and other food items. I'll be joining them again soon, next time they do one.
I've really been enjoying our tomatoes. Enjoying making bruschetta, corn/tomato salad, pizza, and just sliced up with some dressing on them. They're so sweet and delicious!
Tomatoes on the vine
We've also done some apple picking which I posted about here.
colorful squash
Not bad for a city girl. Having grown up in the suburbs of Los Angeles, we didn't have the amount of home-grown, local produce that we now have here. Though my mom and dad did have a little garden out back for many years. They still have a little one where they live now, as well as a lovely flower garden out back.
DSC_0378
We've got some nice waterwise plants and flowers out front like lavender, rosemary, mexican sage, witches broom. I recently started to little potted cactus gardens as well which I really love and was able to utilize some old thrift finds (a soap making metal bucket and a tin milk container that Dan found).
DSC_0383
I've been drying out some of the grapes and we'll have raisins to enjoy soon as well. It's been a great year for gardening and it's been great to be able to share our bounty with friends and family.

Hope you're also able to grow and enjoy your own little (or big) gardens this summer!

Mandy

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...