Sunday, December 11, 2011

Pomona, Corona, Ramona, next stop Sedona!

From Chapel of the Holy Cross, Sedona AZ 2011

I just LOVE Sedona! I grew up in Pomona, lived in Corona, am now in Ramona and where else to go..... but Sedona. Really, though, I would absolutely love to live there. The energy they speak of there is so very real to me. It draws me there. I actually cried when we arrived there for a vacation recently. I don't know what it is, but I truly feel "home" there.
From Sedona vacation rental
We spent a week there over Thanksgiving week. First time in years that we didn't spend Thanksgiving with my folks, and missed them much, but we did spend it with family, my husband's mom and husband on Thanksgiving Day. We rented a house we had found online, the house's name was "Tranquility", how appropriate. It truly was tranquil, serene and spiritually a perfect fit for our family. On the west side of town, it was right below some beautiful red rocks and a short stroll away to the Amithabha Stupa.
From Amithabha Stupa in Sedona, AZ
From a flyer I picked up there, "Sacred stupas have graced the earth for over 2,600 years. Stupas are the physical embodiment of the Buddha's enlightened mind. Their blessings are immeasurable. Their presence, extremely rare in the West."

Also, "By seeing a stupa or hearing about a stupa, remembering it, visualizing it-any kind of connection'will imbue you with a blessing, will connect you to enlightenment."-Tulku San-ngag Rinpoche, master stupa builder of the Amitabha Stupa.

More information about stupas can be found here.

There you go, I'm sharing it with you, may it bring you kind blessings!
From Amithabha Stupa in Sedona, AZ
There was also a lovely buddha in the backyard of "Tranquility". My girls left her an offering of some drawings they had made.

From Sedona vacation rental
The house also featured a little pond and a very relaxing jacuzzi. We enjoyed it all so very much.

I really enjoyed just driving around, seeing the beautiful red rock formations; Coffee Pot, Cathedral Rock, Bell Rock, Courthouse and Chimney Rock. The town of Sedona has strict coding ordinances which include the colors used to paint the buildings. They all blend in nicely with the surrounding landscape, so much so you don't even notice the typical McDs or Walgreens (my husband drove right by it while looking for it!) And, no big box stores in this town! Which is wonderful, because there are so many wonderful little businesses that continue to be able to stay in business as a result of it. I don't think I saw any empty store fronts while there (unlike where I live, there are many right now). We enjoyed going to the new age shops where "vortex" rocks and crystals, Buddhas, and gems could be found. I went to a few bead shops and picked up some nice charms to use in the future. The galleries were wonderful to stroll and there was an art mall with many independent artists booths and a wide variety of goods to purchase. Small, independent toy shops and apparel stores were plenty. Alas, no Legos to be found!!! Livie made due with some fun little building type sets and we had fun with puzzles back at the house.
While we ate many meals at the house, we really enjoyed the CoffeePot Restaurant on the main road. "Home of the famous 101 omelettes" and we tried at least 1 each of them and went there twice during the week. We did a lot during our week there, which included hiking Red Rock Creek, visiting the old mining and ghost town of Jerome, going to a Chuckwagon and dinner show at Blazin' M Ranch, visiting Chapel of the Holy Cross, which is built into the red rocks in Sedona. I've posted some pictures from our trip below, and there's many more in my picasa web albums. I'll definitely be back to Sedona some day, hopefully in retirement, if not sooner.
From Jerome, AZ Mining Town 2011
From Jerome, AZ Mining Town 2011

From Chapel of the Holy Cross, Sedona AZ 2011
From Blazin' M Ranch in Cottonwood, AZ Dinner and country show
From Blazin' M Ranch in Cottonwood, AZ Dinner and country show
From Blazin' M Ranch in Cottonwood, AZ Dinner and country show

It was great spending time with our family from Arizona and we look forward to seeing them again soon!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...